Support

Search results for ""

Sorry, no results found. Perhaps you would like to search the documentation?
All Topics
majid.kiasalar

Sorting "file size" not working

Dear Support Team,

I just purchased the AC Pro. For one the main functions of it and that is sorting.
But one of the most important sortings does not work as it should. And it is sorting via file size. Tried to reset everything but the sorting is not correct:

Screenshot

Appreciate any help.
Thanks

5 years, 1 month ago
Stefan van den Dungen Gronovius
Developer

Hello,
I’m sorry to hear the sorting on that column does not work on your environment.
Do you have a large dataset? Unfortunately, this specific column is not really optimized for large datasets.
In order to sort on this column, we first need to know every filesize of the available media items. We do this to retrieve the file size by looking at the file system of your server, so this can really take some time on large datasets. Since the Query for ordering the items can be quite long, some servers will ignore that and just do some random ordering. I expect this is the case on your environment. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do about this since this column cannot be optimized any further.

Another cause might be a conflict with another plugin or some custom hooks in your theme. Can you try to sort on another column on the media overview and let me know if sorting is working for other media columns? If not, then a conflict is the most plausible cause and we need to find what’s causing the conflict. You can try to disable some other plugins or switch themes to see if that fixes the problem until we know which plugin causes the conflict.

5 years, 1 month ago
majid.kiasalar

Dear Stefan,

thank you for your fast response. As it is a live company website (scheer-group.com) there is not much I can do with changing themes or disabling plugins. But I already checked if other columns are sorting properly and they work. But the file size still not working :( The Media Library includes 3200 items. So it is not that big but also not too small. As you mentioned probably it has something to do with automatic image resizing of wordpress. I wished it could work or somehow any workaround could show me some practical sorting results to have a better overview of the uploaded files to media library.

Thanks
Greetings

5 years, 1 month ago
Developer

A possible workaround is that you store the file size in a custom field for the media file.
In that case you could use custom field column to easily filter, sort etc on that field.
We did not do this since we believe that storing extra data is not part of what our plugin should do.
Reading the file system for 3200 files to retrieve the file size can still be quite heavy on performance I imagine.

5 years, 1 month ago
majid.kiasalar

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry and I know that you explained the problem but one of the most important reasons that we decided to purchase this plugin is because of this promise:

Tips & Tricks: Easily filter out big media files

So a fixed update or at least detailed step by step tutorial to solve this essential malfunction would be much more appreciated.

Thanks

5 years, 1 month ago
Developer

I understand your point.
For now, there are two things I can do for you.

1) Offer you a refund since it does not work (and probably will not ever work) on your environment. Unless we know exactly why it does not work on your environment. Some debugging will be necessary on your (test/staging) environment and if you want to go this way, let’s discuss any further progress through email.

2) Give you an example of how you can store the file size in a custom field for each media file. It is possible by using some WordPress hooks. I can point you in the right direction and even send you mockup, but you’ll have to finish the code and run test etc yourself. Also, let’s do this further by email.

Can you let me know which way you prefer?

5 years, 1 month ago
majid.kiasalar

We are glad to hear your support offering and at the same time we don’t want to give up on this :) we can definitely find a solution. Could you please write me an email so I can write back to you directly or should i just use the support@admincolumns.com?

Thanks

5 years, 1 month ago
Developer

Sure you can email me at support@admincolumns.com and I’ll take it from there.

5 years, 1 month ago

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.