Support

Search results for ""

Sorry, no results found. Perhaps you would like to search the documentation?
All Topics
Franz Gasser

Sequential number

hello,

we use admin columns pro. One of our tables constructed with this plugin includes in the first column a sequential number (1, 2, 3, 4, ….). We use this number for the sorting of the posts, so they appear in the right order.

From time to time, we insert new posts (displayed in a new row in admin column table). In this case, we have to define the sequential number in the right way, so that the new post is placed at the right place. For example, we use increments of numbers, f. ex. 1.2 if the new post is to be placed between post no. 1 and post no. 2.

So my question is: is there an approach to ‘reset’ the sequential numbers, so that the numbering is rebuild? Or is it even possible to use a kind of automatic numvbering? My question comes from an information, that admin columns manages also some mathematical operations, but I can’t find this information.

Many thanks in advance for your support

Franz

2 years, 3 months ago
Stefan van den Dungen Gronovius
Developer

Hello Franz,

There is no solution for that in our plugin at this moment.
But do I understand you correctly that you want to set a new sequential number based on the current ordering of the screen? I try to find a use case, where this will be useful. I mean, if you already can sort the screen based on a value, then why would you need another custom field for sorting purposes?
Or do you mean you want to use the full integers for the reset so that 1, 1.2, 2 becomes 1,2,3?

2 years, 3 months ago
Franz Gasser

hello Stefan,
sorry for not replying you, I was abroad. The second case you mention above is true. Lets say we have 4 posts with a sequential number, which is used for sorting the posts:

1 post a
2 post b
3 post c
4 post d

and I insert 2 new posts which should be placed between post a and post b, I can do that by giving them a sequential number of 1.1 and 1.2

1 post a
1.1 post new a
1.2 post new b
2 post b
3 post c
4 post d

and the question is, if we can – by buld edit or whatever – reset the numbers, so it becomes:

1 post a
2 post new a
3 post new b
4 post b
5 post c
6 post d

kind regards

franz

2 years, 1 month ago
Stefan van den Dungen Gronovius
Developer

Hi Franz,

I understand your use case, but a certain mechanic in our editing feature will probably be too specific. And such a use case will only work if you use it in conjunction with filtering or just a selection of posts on the table overview. We will not add this feature to our roadmap for now, sorry.

2 years, 1 month ago

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.