Support

Search results for ""

Sorry, no results found. Perhaps you would like to search the documentation?
All Topics
Thomas

Post format set wrong or gone (inline edit & bulk-editing)

Hi there,

Unfortunately, I can’t tell you how to exactly reproduce the following problem. I though you should know what happened though:

When I updated to WP 4.7 I bulk-edited lots of posts with a new category. Later, I noticed that all these posts had suddenly the standard post format activated, although they were previously set to image , gallery or video post format.

Then, I used the inline edit Admin Columns pro field to quickly set the post format again for lots of posts. After that, I noticed that was problematic as well. Suddenly, new post formats were appearing/set, sometimes even empty ones (the post showed a new radio box without any label as set, the sorting field an empty option).

Also, I noticed that post formats appeared twice in the Admin columns pro sorting box, e.g. “Video” and “Video (video)”.

Not sure what happened but it was definitely really annoying to fix hundreds of post manually… Anyway, maybe you guys have insights in what happened here?!

Cheers,
Thomas

7 years, 3 months ago
Thomas

BTW: The standard post format isn’t displayed at all in the post format field or sorting dropdown.

7 years, 3 months ago
Stefan van den Dungen Gronovius
Developer

Hi Thomas,

Based on your description, I was able to reproduce the issue that there are double entries in the filtering dropdown. The filter dropdown is just populated by getting all available post formats, so this could only mean that there we indeed new post formats added in WordPress. This is strange because our plugin does not create any taxonomies / post formats.

So I tried to reproduce the issue on a clean install without our plugins activated and did the following
1) View DB for available post format taxonomies -> only the default formats are available after adding a format to a post
2) Use Bulk edit to change the format of a post -> Now the old value is stored as a new post format taxonomy but it is never used

This seems like a bulk edit bug, because I don’t understand why this extra taxonomy is created, only by using bolk edit. Maybe it works as a temporary fallback value before all items are stored. Of course we could write something in our code to ignore those extra unused post formats, be first we want to understand why this is happening. I’ve create a ticket for this for us to investigate. This is only your second issue.

Unfortunately I have no clue why the the first issue is happening and I’m not able to reproduce the issue. Maybe it is related to the first issue, or it may have something to do by creating a new taxonomy (your category). So I really don’t know how I can assist you with this issue any further.

Adding the standard value to the filter dropdown, should be no problem. But in the backend ‘standard’ really means ‘no value set’.

7 years, 3 months ago
Developer

I’ve tested this issue on our upcoming 4.0 release and in this release the duplicated issue is solved and the standard option is added.

7 years, 3 months ago
Thomas

Thanks for letting me know! So bulk-editing will not manipulate the post format again (unless you actually set a change)?

Cheers,
Thomas

7 years, 3 months ago
Developer

Well it is still setting the temporary post format in the database. But in the upcoming release the sorting dropdown will only show post formats that are actually used. And since these post formats are not used at all, they are not displayed.

But you’re right, when you leave the post format to ‘no change’ the format stays the same in my 4.0 environment. It also does not create the extra unused formats.

7 years, 3 months ago
Thomas

OK, thanks. Not 100% sure if I understood the reason for the problem though. It’s too late for me anyway, but could you please let the WordPress guys know if it’s actually a core glitch?

Cheers,
Thomas

7 years, 3 months ago
Developer

If it is a glitch, we sure will. But first we want to understand why this is done in the first place.

7 years, 3 months ago
Thomas

Hi there,

Any news about this? I’m still experiencing the glitch..

Cheers,
Thomas

7 years, 2 months ago
Tobias Schutter
Developer

This seems like a WordPress core bug. I can even reproduce this with all plugins deactivated.
However, in the next release I will filter out any corrupted post_formats that are not registered by WordPress when using inline edit. The dropdown will no longer contain these corrupt post formats.

Full ticket can be found on github. If there’s is any news about this issue, I will post it there.

Cheers, Tobias

7 years ago
Thomas

Hi,

It’s been a while since I used bulk edit and still experience this problem: All posts edited show a wrong post format of either image or gallery (they seem to be created anew, the native WP post formats image & gallery are unselected). I have to manually update each post with the correct post format in order to fix this.

Cheers,
Thomas

5 years, 2 months ago

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.