Support

Search results for ""

Sorry, no results found. Perhaps you would like to search the documentation?
All Topics
Karl-Erik

Plugin checks for updates multiple times per page load

Hello

I have noticed that Admin columns pro checks for updates 8+ times per page load in the admin area. This results in the load speed slowing down to 20-50 seconds and making it extremely frustrating to use the site with the plugin activated.

To try to resolve it I have cleared transients, inactivated and reactivated the licens but the problem persists.

See attached image for details. The dump comes from Query monitor. The first call is expanded so you can see which functions and files that are involved.

What can I do to resolve this?

Screenshot of API calls

5 years, 7 months ago
Stefan van den Dungen Gronovius
Developer

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback, and we’re working on a fix.
I just send you an email with a possible solution and some information.
Can you please reply on that email?
We can post the outcome of some tests here later.

5 years, 7 months ago
stephen3

I would like to note that we have also been having the same issue that user KARL-ERIK has noted. Thank you for the quick support!

5 years, 7 months ago
Asher

Any word on when this might be fixed? Product updates are very slow without the ease of ACP, we have had to disable it for now, will reactivate once the updated fix has been applied? The WordPress admin is running much faster with this plugin disabled, however we have discovered that we almost need it’s ability to customise the products from within Woocommerce with additional columns, sorting filters etc. Cheers

5 years, 6 months ago
Stefan van den Dungen Gronovius
Developer

TLDR:
There should only be one check per Admin Columns Pro addon twice per day (#1).
We fixed the issue where our API was called multiple times per request.
Some customers have updates checked every request (#2). This is not caused by our plugin and should be fixed in your environment. We’re still looking for a fix for #3, but we’re not able to reproduce this issue yet.

There are several causes and triggers for this issue.

1) We check multiple times per request for updates when the WP script is running. Although this should only happen a few times per day, we, of course, should not check multiple times. We did fix this problem for the upcoming release.

2) On some environments, the check mentioned above is fired much more than a few times per day, sometimes even with every request. We believe that that should never be the case, but this is not caused not by our plugin. It turns out that some environments have plugins or hooks that are broken causing the website to check for updates every time. If that is the case, then it also calls our API to check for updates, and it does that for every addon as well. Combined with the issue above, that means a lot of calls to our API.

With the fix for issue 1, this means that it will be reduced just one call to our API for every Admin Columns Pro addon installed. If you experience this problem for your environment, then we suggest to have a look at your code and at least not trigger the update check for every request. In my experience with all the issue above, this is caused by a hook that is not returning a value, causing the plugin check transient to be cleared everytime the page is loaded.

3) We also use our own caching mechanism to check for updates only twice per day. This caching method is based on WordPress options logic, but some clients seem to have some issues with this as well. We’re not able to reproduce this issue yet, so any help is welcome on this. It seems that the options are not set. The fix for #1 should partially fix the total issue, but if we fix this issue, it should also reduce the checks for updates for our plugins, even if issue #2 is not solved. We still advise not to check for updates for every request.

If anyone wants to try/test the fix please send me a message on support@admincolumns.com and I can send you the beta with the fix.

5 years, 6 months ago

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.