Support

Search results for ""

Sorry, no results found. Perhaps you would like to search the documentation?
All Topics
Emmanuel

Inline Editing Not Working for Custom User Role

Hello, when I am logged in using a custom user role. The Inline editing feature does not work even though “Inline Edit” button is enabled. Please help with this.

Thank you

7 years, 4 months ago
Stefan van den Dungen Gronovius
Developer

Hi Emmanuel,

For Inline Edit, we check if a user has the capability ‘edit_post’ for the selected post type. I suspect that your custom role does not have this capability. Can you check this for me? If you don’t know how to check this, you could use a plugin that can show you the capabilities for a user / role for example this plugin: https://nl.wordpress.org/plugins/capability-manager-enhanced/

7 years, 4 months ago
Emmanuel

I have checked the capability of the user and it does have ‘edit_post’ enabled. It does not have ‘publish_post’ enabled.

Thanks

7 years, 4 months ago
Developer

You can enable edit_post and publish_post as capability for the Editor, but be aware that they also can edit the post en publish them. Since that is what you want with our plugin, I think that is not a problem. To add these capabilities to a user, you can probably use the same plugin that you used to find which capabilities the Editor roles has.

7 years, 4 months ago
Emmanuel

That is not the way we want the role to work. We do not want the role to be able to publish, only edit. We are able to change the status with Quick Edit, but we want to be able to do it with the Admin Columns Inline Edit feature.

7 years, 4 months ago
Developer

Do I understand you correctly that you only want to change the post status with inline edit?
Because the status column is the only column where we check on ‘publish_posts’. And I believe this is a good check otherwise you can set the status of a column to publish which is the same as publishing a post through the edit page.

So for using inline edit you’ll need the ‘edit_post’ capability, for editing the status column you’ll need extra ‘publish_posts’ capability. Maybe if you can give me a good use case, we can look for a possible filter to add so it will be possible for this specific case.

7 years, 4 months ago
Emmanuel

Yes I want the user to only change the status with inline edit. I don’t want the user to have to use quick edit. The user does not have the ability to publish post, but has the ability to edit. Maybe this screen shot will help explain: Screen Shot of Inline Edit not working.

7 years, 4 months ago
Developer

The images are missing, can you please send the screenshot to support@admincolumns.com so I can place the images for your here?

7 years, 4 months ago
Emmanuel

Did you receive the screenshot?

7 years, 4 months ago
Emmanuel

It is unfortunate that you are unable to provide a solution to this problem. It would not be useful for me to edit the code as you mentioned because the selector will still show all the statuses which defeats the purpose of having a user role with restrictions to those other statuses. I don’t really feel that this is so specific considering that this is the default behaviour of the WP Quick Edit feature. It is only natural to expect the Inline Edit to behave the same way as the WP core.

7 years, 4 months ago
Developer

I do not entirely agree with you on this one since our inline edit functionality has nothing to do with quick edit. I understand that you expect that the inline edit feature works the same as quick edit but it is not how our plugin currently works. We’ve created a status column that can do more then what is possible in quick edit. For example you can set all available post statuses with our plugin/status column while quick edit only allows you to set one of the default statuses.

I really appreciate your input and ideas. I’m not sure if it is possible but we can have a look if we can limit the list with statuses only available for specific roles. There is already a feature request for this, but since we already offer more than quick edit, I’m not sure if we come up with a possible solution.

Both Quick edit and Admin Columns works fine together so I guess for now it is not really a problem to use them together.

7 years, 4 months ago

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.