Support

Search results for ""

Sorry, no results found. Perhaps you would like to search the documentation?
All Topics
Vladislav Burlak

Gutenberg Blocks option to display innerBlocks

Hi Admin Columns team,

I checked how Gutenberg Blocks Columns works and found that it ignores innerBlocks:

1. Block Count option count core/group(and all the same blocks) as a single block without checking what’s inside innerBlocks
  2. Block Structure option also lists only parent blocks, for example core/group and skip everything what’s inside

I just reviewed how Query Monitor build Blocks Table and iterate over the innerBlocks and displaying blocks as nesting. It might be helpful.

It seems to be like a Feature request from my side. But I think it could be really useful for somebody else in future. I was surprised to not find a submitted ticket about that.

Thanks!

2 years, 1 month ago
Stefan van den Dungen Gronovius
Developer

Thanks for your explanation.
Can you give me an example of a Gutenberg block that uses inner blocks so we can further test this and see if we can make adjustments for this column to take the inner blocks into account as well?

2 years, 1 month ago
Vladislav Burlak

Hey Stefan,

Yep, I’ve created a gist with the content to paste inside editor: https://gist.github.com/vburlak/fe4110024de55756640037fc066bc697

And how it should looks in the Dashboard:
Gutenberg Editor Experience with innerBlocks structure

And when in Admin Columns fields it looks so:
Admin Columns ignores blocks without blockName

For more complex pages with a rich structure for blocks it looks so:
Just showing core/group and ignoring innerBlocks inside

And that’s how Query Monitor handle this: Query Monitor Blocks tab
It displays each Block and indicating hieararchy in # column. And showing the right count of Total: 12 blocks used in the editor at the bottom bar.

Hope it helps.

Thanks!

2 years, 1 month ago
Stefan van den Dungen Gronovius
Developer

Thanks for your input, that is very helpful.
We will alter the Gutenberg column to both counts and display the subblocks. I’m not sure if it will make it to the next release, but we’ll be working on it.

2 years, 1 month ago

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.