Support

Search results for ""

Sorry, no results found. Perhaps you would like to search the documentation?
All Topics
thomas.diesenreiter

Filter for Inline Editing capability

Hi there,

as far as I can tell and read in other support posts, currently the inline editor button is shown depending on the users capability to edit a certain post type. While that might be enough for most cases, we do require to have a more finegrained approach. I see two options: introducing a new capability or including a filter in the capability check, so I can add my own security approach.
Background: We have a big db with loads of users which publish custom posts in our system. While I would like the admins to be able to use the inline editor, I don’t want the users to have the same capability. Mostly for simplicity, but also because we ran our custom validation checks in the post editor with ACF, which are not working in the inline table list editor.
Thanks a lot!
best wishes,
Thomsa

6 years ago
thomas.diesenreiter

Sorry for the typos, I’m in a hurry =)

6 years ago
Stefan van den Dungen Gronovius
Developer

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your feedback.
I understand your use case, but we have to think carefully about both possible sollutions.
I’ve created a feature request for this on Github but I like to discuss this issue with the rest of the team before we make a decision on how we want to approach this request.

https://github.com/codepress/admin-columns-issues/issues/1073

Stefan

6 years ago
thomas.diesenreiter

Cool, thanks!

6 years ago
Developer

You’re welcome. I will close this topic

6 years ago
Developer

For customers with the use case where specific columns must be inline editable or not for specific users, we do have a filter that allows you to do this.

https://www.admincolumns.com/documentation/filter-reference/acpeditingvalue/

When this filter returns NULL, editing is disabled for that specific column. Since this filter has knowledge of the column (with all properties), the object ID and you can check for the current user, you have everything you need to alter the behavior for specific columns based on the ID and/or User.

We will still investigate if it is useful to introduce a new capability for inline editing and how we can make this backward compatible with existing installs.

5 years, 6 months ago

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.