Support

Search results for ""

Sorry, no results found. Perhaps you would like to search the documentation?
All Topics
Satoshi

Conflicting with Intuitive Custom Post Order

Hi there,

I’m using Intuitive Custom Post Order plugin which allows me to manually change the post order.

Intuitive Custom Post Order

However, ACF suppresses the post order when reloading the admin page even though I turned off all the sorting settings with ACF. I suspect ACF actually sets sorting “none” and overrides my custom post order.

Is it possible to fix?

P.S.
And even better, it would be great if ACF implements similar custom post order function in the future.

Best,
Satoshi

6 years, 1 month ago
Stefan van den Dungen Gronovius
Developer

Hi Satoshi,

Are you on Admin Column 4.2.3? There was a fix in 4.2.3 that fixes the default sorting for overview pages.
I tried ICPO with this release and it seems that the post order just works fine.

6 years, 1 month ago
Satoshi

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your response.

In fact, I’m using the most resent versions of both plugins but facing this issue. ICPO looks working and it’s possible to drag posts, change their order but when the admin page is reloaded all the settings disappear.

Also, I think I succeeded to nail down the problem.

1. Pressed the “reset sorting preferences” button. But no luck. The problem still exists.
2. Pressed the “Restore default settings” button. Wow! The problem has gone and ICPO is working as expected.
3. However I don’t want my client change the sorting preference so I turned off all the sorting capabilities such as date and title by ACF. And the problem has come again.
4. OK, I might need to compromise and turned the sorting capabilities back. However the ICPO’s order didn’t come back as if ACF is forcing the default order.
5. Back to 1.

Could you try these steps?

Best,
Satoshi

6 years, 1 month ago
Developer

Hi Satoshi,

I finally can reproduce the issue. It turns out their logic only works when sorting is not active or to be more specific, when there is no orderby or order set as param in the URL. Once sorted with our plugin on a column, we store this as a user preference for the specific overview / layout.

So next time you visit the same overview page or just click on the link left in the menu, you’ll go to the overview page without the order and orderby param in the URL. But in fact, the page is still sorted on the last sorted column by the user last time he/she sorted on a column. You should see the ‘reset sorting’ button on top of the overview.

This causes, of course, a conflict because ICPO tries to sort on their logic, while we still sort on the last stored sorting preference. The sorting behaviour (including preferences) is not something we will change in our plugin, but I believe there is a workaround for you to make both plugins work.

You could create a new column set with our plugin. When you click on the ‘restore columns’ button for that specific column set, it restores the default WordPress columns for that specific column set. You can disable sorting if you like, just to make sure that no other sorting logic than the logic by ICPO is applied for this specific column set. Can you try this and let me know if that works?

P.S. Clicking the ‘reset sorting preferences’ cleans all sorting preferences! You could also do this for the specific overview by clicking the ‘reset sorting’ button on top of the overview screen.

P.P.S. Clicking the ‘reset default settings’ removed all the settings for Admin Columns. I would not do that so often because you WILL have to re-add all columns you already did!

6 years, 1 month ago
Satoshi

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for the workaround. Yes it does work. A new column set without ACP preference works smoothly with ICPO. However adding a new column to the new set adds an ACP sorting preference and starts conflicting with ICPO.

My primary reason of using ACP is adding extra fields from ACF to the admin panel for better overview.
Maybe I should omit ICPO and add a custom fields something like “Sorting Num” for custom order.

Anyway, my situation is clear for now, I wish you could change how ACP handle the sorting preference though. I’d agree this issue is “solved”.

Best,
Satoshi

BTW, sorry for the previous comment, your plugin is ACP, not ACF.
I really appreciate ACP which makes my admin panels are special to my clients.

6 years, 1 month ago
Developer

You’re welcome.
You could consider creating a column set just for ICPO to be able to sort the overview. Then use the other column set(s) for having the most optimal overview screen. I will mark this issue as ‘solved’

6 years, 1 month ago

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.